Sunday, October 24, 2010

Perspective is everything.

The hubster and I were in the fabulous town of Steamboat Springs, Colorado not too long ago. It's one of my favorite places in the world and I suggest you add it to your bucket list if you haven't visited. It is seriously awesome. For me, it's one of those places that just demands that I slow down and think...think about myself, life, my future, everything. I always come away from Steamboat feeling refreshed and better prepared to take on life. This last trip was no different and I realized something about myself: I'm always in a hurry.

For a long time now I've been focused on 'figuring myself out'. I've been obsessed with finding my 'path' in life and in many ways it's actually made me crazy. I'm always trying to figure out my plan and constantly checking myself to make sure I'm working towards a goal. And I'm always in a hurry, always. I'm probably the most impatient person in the world. I know, it's not a good thing.

While this mentality has actually helped me achieve a lot of my personal dreams, it has also been somewhat exhausting. I find myself always looking to tomorrow and not necessarily focusing 100% on today. I think this kind of thinking can only lead me to never be totally satisfied with where I'm at or what I'm doing in life. Which is ironic, because I'm the one who is always saying, "Live for today, don't worry about tomorrow." I guess I wasn't listening to myself.

So I decided it's high time for me to slow the heck down and realize I don't have to scratch everything off my bucket list tomorrow. I want to cut myself some slack and dare I say it...be ok with failure. I often feel ashamed of my past failures, things I've started with all the optimism in the world only to fall flat on my face. But this trip to Steamboat actually made me thankful for those failures. Crazy, I know. My perspective changed completely and I started to realize that everything I've done has put me where I am today. (This is actually harder to do than it sounds, really.) I'm pretty tickled with life right now, I just need to calm down a little so I can enjoy it.

So thank you Steamboat, for your thought provoking landscapes and your oversized cinnamon rolls. You are lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment