Friday, December 31, 2010

Nirvana


Tomorrow is the first day of 2011. Crazy, I know. I'm not sure how or why time goes by so fast, but I wish it would slow down. I wish time would just chill out a bit so my life wouldn't feel like it zooms by. Some folks may like this, but I'm not one of them.

It's kind of fascinating to me how everyone feels like there is this big fresh start at the beginning of a new year. It makes sense I guess. The new calendar year can feel like a breath of fresh air, a chance to start over...be a better person. You'll inevitably promise yourself that you'll quit that bad habit that's been following you around, start a new and exciting hobby, or lose those ten pounds. Crazy part is these resolutions only seem to last for a few weeks, maybe months if you're really dedicated. In truth, we'll more than likely slide back into our old habits and 2011 will very closely resemble 2010.

Ok, I'm being Debbie Downer here, but I do have a point. Why not do away with the resolutions and instead start revamping the way we think? Why not look at 2011 as an opportunity to think outside the box? Stop looking at life in these parameters of what we're supposed to do and start doing what truly makes us happy.


Lately I've noticed how many people are simply unhappy in life. Sure, we all have our tragedies. We all have those issues that follow us around and try to pull us down. But dang it, why do we have to let that shape who we are? Life is so fricken' short, why waste one second of it? My grandma, Jams as we call her, is probably the best example of this. She is the happiest person I know, never worries about a thing, and never has one bad thing to say about anyone. She is sincerely and effortlessly happy. I think of it as a state of nirvana, that few people in this world will ever truly experience.

My goal for 2011 is to simply be happy. Sincerely and effortlessly happy. This last year was really magical, I did things I never thought possible. (Read some of that here) It was probably the best year ever. And things can only go up from here.

I can't help but feel huge butterfly wings in my stomach when I think about 2011. I hope you feel the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment